Monday, February 27, 2012

Salted Caramel Cupcakes


These cupcakes are by far my most requested and popular dessert.  They are soo good.  I had my first taste of salted caramel a few years at a creamery - I instantly fell in love.  It became my obsession and I wanted to make every dessert I could with salted caramel in it.  The first time I made these was for Malacai's third birthday party, and they were very good, but not quite perfect.  There were just a couple things that weren't quite doing it for me.  Every time I made them after that, I tweaked the recipe a little bit more and finally I think these are it!  Also - I love that I have leftover salted caramel sauce after making these - it's so good I could just eat it by the spoonful!!



Triple Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Makes approximately 30 Cupcakes

Cupcakes:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups whole milk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin tins with papers. Combine flours, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Cream butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add vanilla. Mix and scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for about 25 minutes. When done, transfer tins to wire racks to cool 10 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely.


Salted Caramel Filling:

2 cups sugar
12 tablespoons salted butter cubed
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, at room temperature

Melt the sugar over medium high heat in a large pot. Whisk the sugar as it melts and cook until it becomes a deep amber color. Add the butter and stir it in until melted. Pour in the heavy cream (mixture will foam) and whisk until you get a smooth sauce. You may have some lumps but keep stirring until they have melted. Remove from heat and let cool.  {If you still have some lumps in the caramel after it has cooled - strain it through a fine mesh strainer}.

Cut a small round piece out of the tops of each cooled cupcake and pour in 1 teaspoon of caramel. Replace the cake piece and set cupcakes aside.


Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting:

1 1/2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1/2-3/4 cup of salted caramel filling {from recipe above} - completely cooled

In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and salt together until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add 6 cups sugar {a little at a time}. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Scrape down the side of the bowl and add the caramel - start with 1/2 cup.  Beat on medium high speed until light and airy, and completely mixed (about 2 minutes). Taste test to see if you want to add more caramel.  If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.  Mixture should be ready to use without refrigeration.

Top caramel-filled cupcakes with frosting {I used a Wilton 1M tip to pipe the frosting}.  Drizzle cupcakes with salted caramel filling.  Sprinkle with large crystal sugar.


You will most likely have leftover caramel filling, keep refrigerated and enjoy on ice cream or other desserts {or just eat it by the spoonful straight from the bowl!}.


Source: adapted from Sprinkle Bakes






6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, did you have me at salted caramel! Yum! And thanks so much for linking up to Monday Mingle last week. I hope you'll join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salty and sweet deserts... These look amazing!

    Jeanna

    dramaqueenseams.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! These look and sound delicious! I will have to give this recipe a try!!!


    <3 Nicole
    http://RealLifeDressUp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really creative idea! Very cute! Thanks for linking up to Drab to Fab! This week's party is up again, so please come back and party some more with me! You can link up old or new :)
    Here's a link to the party:
    http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/03/drab-to-fab-link-up-8-features.html

    Have a great weekend!

    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  5. These salty caramel cupcakes are absolutely amazing! I'm delighted with them, I love the flavour. I've featured this recipes on my blog! I hope you don't mind! If you don't agree with that please contact me and I will remove it. All the best.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...