Monday, January 16, 2012

Oven Fried Pickles


I know what you're thinking, fried pickles?!  But they are soo good - if you like pickles...and I am a pickle lover.  I think the first time I tried them was at a local restaurant, Bourbon & Burger, and I was head over heels.  Worth going to eat there just for the fried pickles.  {And they have some stellar burgers too}
When I saw this recipe, I was excited to try it because they aren't actually fried.  And I hate frying food.  {It stinks up the house and seems like more work than it's worth}.  Plus, healthier too!   
I made these to take to my sister's baby gender reveal party - a perfect snack for a preggers girl, right?!  These were delish!  You don't even miss the fried part!  And they are pretty easy and quick to make too.  These would be a great appetizer to serve at your Superbowl party...I think I need to add it to my menu.  And I'm pretty sure I'll be making some of these tomorrow...I'm really craving some after writing about them - and I have a jar of pickles sitting in my fridge!   


Oven Fried Pickles

1 jar whole pickles, sliced into spears {I used about half of a 32 oz jar}
2 eggs
1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs

Ranch dressing, for serving

Adjust the oven rack to the center position. Preheat the broiler. Set a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet. Spray with nonstick oil; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and flour. Add the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Adobo seasoning, and black pepper. Stir until fully incorporated.

Place the Panko bread crumbs in a shallow bowl, a pie plate works great. Dip a pickle spear first into the egg mixture, then coat with the Panko bread crumbs. Set on the greased wire rack. Repeat with remaining pickle spears.

Broil for about 3 minutes on each side. Serve immediately with Ranch dressing.

Freezing Instructions: Before broiling, place coated pickle spears in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Flash freeze for 20 minutes. Transfer frozen pickles to a labeled freezer bag. When ready to prepare, preheat the broiler to high and broil on the greased wire rack set in a baking sheet for 4-5 minutes on each side.

Source: barely adapted from Pennies On A Platter

{how about some vote lovin'? two clicks}

4 comments:

  1. wow..thank you im gonna try this recipe!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm coming over too. cookies and milk party may need to turn into pickles and...um...burgers. hahah.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...