Tuesday, April 21, 2009

a brush with the law

can you guess what happened to me yesterday? yes, that's right, i got ticketed. me. driving my soccer-mom-mini-van. with my two babies in the back. (who, by the way, barely made a peep during the whole ordeal...why, oh why, can't you have screaming kids when you need them? they'll save that for nap time.) i haven't been pulled over in about 10 years. (i think the last time was with you sarah kue, in whereinsamhillarewe, indiana. on our way to cornerstone. for which, i'd like to add, i did not get a ticket. because who gets a ticket for going 69 in a 65? (which i think is pretty much what i told the officer) "cera, wake up, i'm getting pulled over and i didn't do anything wrong").
so what heinous crime did i commit yesterday? apparently, i may or may not have stopped completely at a (so not needed) stop sign and i had a brake light out. i for the record did stop completely. i may not have sat there for a half hour to contemplate the unneccessariness of this stop sign, but i stopped, looked left, looked right - saw the sheriff sitting down the road, and then continued on. who would not stop at a stop sign if they saw a sheriff??!
when he came up to the van and asked me if i knew why i was being pulled over (why, oh why do they always ask this question??) i told him no and he said, "they have us checking here to make sure people are completely stopping at the signs" and direct quote, "you pretty much did that so i'm not going to harp on you about that but your driver's side brake light is out". and he has to write me up a ticket for that. but when he comes back, he has 2 tickets, one for the brake light and one for failing to stop at a stop sign. um, whatever happened to not harping on me about the stop that i did do?? he then reassures me that it's not a big deal though, because unofficially he's telling me to plead not guilty, go to court, and he, as the proscecuter, will most likely be able to get both dismissed. well why are we even wasting our time getting the ticket then?? i am now a firm believer in the gotta-get-their-quota-in theory. (i've never personally know an officer, so i've never been able to ask if they really have a certain number of tickets they are supposed to get in. but i've heard that theory. and it sounds good. if you know, let me know).
so now, in all my free time that i have, i get to schedule in a court appearance. cool.
and for the record, he was on the nicer side. just not that nice or he wouldn't have written any tickets.
and for the record, i did not cry. until i pulled away and called my husband. i was just all nervous, intimated and wanting to cry. just like i'll be at court. so it'll be horrible.
and for the record, i did wonder if i should reach back and pinch malacai to make him start crying to try and gain sympathy.
and for the record, there was no pinching.
the end.

4 comments:

  1. Wahoo! I mean, Crap Mand. I just thought i was the only one who gets the "failure to obey posted traffic sign" tickets. Welcome to my world. If you need any tips or hints about court let me know. Hi to the boys!

    PS. I stopped at mine to. I'm a firm believer in the quota.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stupid cops! since i've had my license, i've gotten a ticket every 3 years in the spring, which means i'm due next year...

    the first one i totally deserved, but the second one was completely unjustified. i was speeding up for the 55-mph zone! if they expect me to slow down for a 30-mph zone, they'd better expect me to speed up for a 55!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think if you have a light out and get it fixed in 24 hours, you can take your ticket to the troopers on saile drive or wherever they are now and they will write you a get-out-of-paying-free pass.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...